A title called You: Who are you without your job?

Jumble & Flow Blog

1. Holly says:

This really spoke to me. I am at the point where I still need to work, but am so turned off by the opportunities available…I suppose my current title would be Aspiring Retiree. Beautifully written, as always, Dixie!

2. Hotsy Malone says:

When I was younger in LA, pursuing an acting career while working at the Chateau Marmont, I have to admit I was a total title whore! Always on the lookout for someone who could cast me, get me into to see someone, etc. When I came to Nashville and was working in the music biz I saw all too well what I had been before! Looking back I met lots of not so great people with big titles while missing out on the real folks who had no title. As I get ready to retire, I look forward to no title and just being whatever I want to be which I hope is a person who cares about others, brings laughter and love to others and is true to myself. Thanks for a piece that opens the eyes and mind of the reader.

3. Jenni says:

I have an invisible disability, so when people ask me, “What do you do?” I just say, “Whatever I damn well please! How about you?”

4. Amy Friedman says:

Love the backpack, OWN the backpack. Dixie, your wisdom and voice are essential. I have one issue – since you asked for constructive disagrees. I think the “nobody’s business” idea is a question. Don’t like the idea of invisibility in any form for women over 50. Perhaps I missed your drift there. Love your voice.

5. Bonnie Ho says:

I love this and totally relate. The times I’ve taken a break or switched careers, I noticed how much of my identity was tied to my title. What an awesome message. Thank you for this.

6. Cathy says:

Great read. I sometimes get put on the spot and asked “where do you work?” Or “are you working?” And id rather not answer because i’ve been unemployed or underemplyed for a while. Sometimes its really nosy and persistent people who ask. Any advice on how I can deflect these questions. Specifically ‘ where do you work?” And “are you working”?

• Dixie says:

Maybe you could say, “I’m always working on something” or “I’m looking into a variety of cool opportunities” or “I’m thinking about what I might want to do next”. As long as it puts you, not your title, in the driver’s seat.