We’re seeking an organized, communicative, and motivated self-starter with editorial leadership experience to help shape and manage Jumble & Flow, the new health and wellness lifestyle content brand for Grown-Ass Ladies (read: primarily women in their 40s). If you enjoy creative collaboration, meeting deadlines, and providing constructive feedback to writers and content producers, we hope to hear from you.
As the Managing Editor, you will be responsible for:
• Developing, producing, and publishing high-quality editorial content for jumbleandflow.com at first and then eventually The Midst (the-midst.com), the new site that we plan to launch in early 2023. The Midst has the same mission as Jumble & Flow: to empower women in their late 30s, 40s, and into their 50s to design life on their terms. The current expectation is to publish an average of four to eight articles per month (toward the lower end if the content is very long-form or involved.) As we grow and drive more revenue, we will revisit the publishing cadence, expectations, and wages.
• Managing the editorial calendar and writer assignments: The managing editor will largely steer the editorial ship and does not need the founder’s sign-off to publish.
• Collaborating closely with freelance writers, staff editor(s), and a social media manager and uploading/publishing freelancers’ work in WordPress.
• Conceptualizing The Midst’s visual direction for blog posts and helping with social media caption writing (in conjunction with freelance writers) to hand off to the social media manager.
• Help organize and lead quarterly editorial meetings with the editorial team.
• Estimated time commitment: Approximately 10 hours per week to start
Perks: Set your own hours; get in early to a growing startup; opportunity to earn equity. As the company grows, you would likely have the opportunity to work more hours and earn more money.
• Top-notch editing chops (style-wise, we use a mix of AP and Chicago)
• Entrepreneurial attitude, creative story ideas, ability to communicate thoughtfully with writers and social media manager
• Team-building and friendly communication skills
• WordPress and Google Docs experience required; social media experience a plus
• The ability to self-manage and stay focused
• Bonus points if you have experience with SEO best practices
You will work directly with Amy Cuevas Schroeder, the founder and CEO of Jumble & Flow and The Midst. For practical purposes, Amy currently works as the publisher and previously worked as the original managing editor. At the current time, Amy is steering the brand and business development and is still involved in editorial but not in a hands-on day-to-day way. As we grow, the goal is for Amy to be less hands-on with editorial production.
The starting wage for this position is a $1,000 monthly stipend; we do not withhold taxes or social security. Payment is on a monthly basis by either check or Paypal. In addition, you will be eligible to receive additional compensation for other editorial opportunities if and when they arise. As for time off, we’re relatively flexible and can talk with you about how to keep the editorial ship running while you take time off; we’ll just need to know in advance if you plan to take off more than a week.
Employment with Jumble & Flow and The Midst will be on an at-will basis, which means you and the company are free to terminate employment at any time, with or without cause or advance notice. This letter is not a contract indicating employment terms or duration.